Millions of people around the world drink coffee every day. Whether it’s hot, iced, or blended, this drink made of blending coffee beans and water has become a part of our daily existence. Whether it’s the best coffee in New York or the best coffee in Sydney, you must appreciate the power of the bean. There are even some people who drink several cups of coffee a day. No matter if you are a coffee fanatic or simply a fan, you can surely appreciate these fun facts about coffee! Find out more about one of the oldest beverages on Earth and one of our most treasured modern drinks. Coffee, we love you.
Fun Facts About Coffee
- Coffee beans are technically fruit. They’re the pit of a berry, which means that it’s fruit, not in its own category called “coffee”. Don’t worry, tea is still tea.
- You overdose on coffee after roughly 100 cups. It may be possible to die from it, but honestly, who’s got the time to drink 100 cups of coffee in one day?
- The word coffee comes from Arabic. That word is “qahhwat al-bun”, which translates to wine of the bean. It became qahwa, then ‘kahve’ in Turkish, ‘koffie’ in Dutch, and coffee in English.
- Apparently coffee is psychoactive. That means it’s activating the more mystical side of your mind… and you thought all it was doing was waking you up!
- New Yorkers drink 7x more coffee than other city dwellers do. No wonder; with the brisk lifestyle and pace of New York City, you’ve got to have a constant stream of the best coffee in New York running through your veins. There’s also like, endless opportunities to get coffee in New York, so it’s no wonder that New Yorkers are so hyped up on caffeine with a cafe located every five steps in the city.
- Hawaii is the only U.S. state to grow coffee on a commercial basis. Likely because it’s one of the only states with the tropical climate and rich soil required to effectively grow lots and lots of coffee beans.
- Arab women could only divorce their husband in the past if the reason was that he didn’t provide enough coffee for them. Sounds like a legitimate complaint to us.
- Someone wrote an opera about a woman who was addicted to coffee. It was Johann Sebastian Bach.
- In Japan, you can bathe in a coffee pool or bath at a spa. The caffeine and antioxidants in the beans are supposed to have a rejuvenating effect on the skin.
- Coffee cannot help you sober up. This is a popular myth and worse may even dehydrate you further. It will make you feel more awake, we suppose. Be sure to drink extra water when drinking coffee in addition to alcohol to replace the fluids!
- Teddy Roosevelt was said to drink a gallon of coffee a day. And you thought your coffee addiction was bad.
Those are our fun facts about coffee! Hopefully you learned a little more about this interesting drink. One thing’s for sure, we’ll never let coffee go. Thanks for reading, and happy coffee drinking!